April 13, 2020
Grace and peace to you, sisters and brothers, Christ is risen. He is risen indeed! Yesterday our churches entered Eastertide in new and exciting ways, proving that the good news is not bound to our buildings. To those who are suffering, the Easter message is a comfort. Jesus goes before us to prepare the way for hope and healing to transform the world!
Easter reminds us that we are in covenant with God and one another. When we are baptized, we promise God and the body of Christ that we will hold one another in love and care. Out of love and care your Annual Conference leadership is taking needed time to make an informed, reasonable, and faithful decision regarding the shape of Annual Conference.
Today, we are able to share the following information:
- The regular 2020 West Virginia Annual Conference session has been rescheduled for Saturday, August 1st and Sunday, August 2nd. This condensed format conference will take place on the campus of West Virginia Wesleyan College.
- Our time together will be adjusted to our new timeframe and will include worship and necessary business. On Sunday morning, we will celebrate baptism, licensing, commissioning, and ordination.
- The Clergy Session will take place in June, during which time clergy will vote on all membership status changes, including retirements, transfers, and membership. These changes will take effect on July 1, 2020. Details for Clergy Session will be announced as soon as they are available.
- The Conference Lay Leadership team is in a time of discernment concerning the date, location, and other information for the Laity Session. More information will be available soon.
- The Clergy Move Dates will remain the same. Clergy families will move out on June 24 and move in on June 25, 2020.
- Details regarding registration and lodging for Annual Conference will be forthcoming. Watch your email and the Conference website for details (www.wvumc.org).
There will be great joy when we are able to meet face to face. Know that our planning and discernment have included reliance on the most current information and projections available concerning Covid-19 from the CDC, national, and local leaders. We will continue to monitor this situation and should the guidelines or projections for community interaction change in ways that impact the decisions outlined above, we will, of course, revise our plans, accordingly. We will keep you informed as details become clearer.
Grace and peace in the name of the Risen Christ!
Bishop Sandra Steiner Ball
Ms. Judi Kenaston
Rev. Dr. Bonnie G. MacDonald
Director of Leadership & Ministry Staff
Mr. Ken Willard
Director of Discipleship, Leadership, and Congregational Vitality
Rev. Krysta Rexrode Wolfe
Chair, Annual Conference Program Committee
Mr. Jamion Wolford
Conference Treasurer and Pension Officer
Link to WV Conference story: